Smudging practices have become increasingly popular over the last few years in North America, but California White Sage has been widely used as a sacred plant in First Nations and Native American culture for hundreds of years. The scientific name for White Sage is Salvia Apiana. There are multiple varietals of Sage that can be used for their unique healing properties, Bursera carries a White Sage native to California. Smoke from White Sage is used to purify a person’s mind and body, as well as any objects it encompasses. Traditionally, it’s believed to provide a barrier that prevents negative spirits from entering the room1. There have been studies that also show that scientifically, the smoke that burns from sage can clear up to 94 percent of airborne bacteria2.
How to Use White Sage
- Open a door or window in the space you are cleansing for the smoke and negative energy to escape.
- Make sure you have a vessel to place the burning Sage on hand.
- Hold the Sage from the base of the stems at a 45 degree angle, and carefully light the far end.
- Allow to burn for about 5-10 seconds before blowing out the flame.
- Either carefully hold upright, or place in your vessel, and move from room to room and surround your body and objects with the smoke.
- If you haven’t already, place the Sage in your vessel until your next smudging.
After smudging, the energy in your space will be neutralized. To introduce positive energy, try lighting Palo Santo or diffusing an uplifting, energizing scent such as eucalyptus essential oil.
A Note on Bursera California White Sage
With growing consumer demand on our resources of White Sage, this spiritual plant is subject to harmful and unethical harvesting practices and puts it at risk of extinction. As with all our products, we put the utmost care in sourcing ethical and sustainable products. Our white sage from California is grown for this specific purpose using drip water methods to conserve our planet’s water supply.